Pre-Islamic Period Timeline
- 750 BC The Medes era: Deioces (728 to 675 BC) was the founder of the Median kingdom
- 600 BC The Achaemenids era
- 329 BC Defeat of the Achaemenids by Alexander
- 250 BC The Parthians era began by defeating the Greeks
- 226 AD The Sassanid era
Islamic Period Timeline
- 570-632 AD The birth and death of Muhammad the prophet
- 630 AD The Arab invasion. The Sassanid emperor Yazdgerd III was defeated by the Arabs at the Battle of Nahravan. Bisotoon.
- 800 AD Uprising of the Shi'ite movement in Khorasan (Northeastern Iran) by Abu Moslem Khosasany who fought the Arabs and established the first independent Persian state in Khorasan.
- 867 AD The birth of the Saffarid dynasty by Yaqub Saffar who was the first leader to unite Persians under the Shi'ite flag.
- 874 AD The rise of the Samanid dynasty in Northeastern Persia. Eventually,
- 962 AD Ghaznavid dynasty established in eastern Iran. The capital was Ghazneh located in present day Afghanistan. The Ghaznavids could defeat the Samanids in the early 11th cent and established a vast kingdom from India to Syria.
- 1040 AD The Seljuq era began by defeating the Ghaznavids at the Battle of Dandanqan, near Marv. Seljuq reign ended with the death of Sanjar,
- 1160 AD The rise of Kharazmshahian in Northeastern Iran.
- 1220 AD The Mongol invasion. Mongols captured nearly all Persia except Fars region. In Bukhara and Samarkand, they ruined and killed more than one million residents. Later the Il-Khanid dynasty was established in central Persia.
- 1380-87 AD The Tatar invasion under the command of Timur and the reign of the Timurid rulers started. 1502
Safavid dynasty was established by Shah Ismail.
- 1729 AD Nader Shah established the Afshar dynasty by expelling Afghans . He also captured Delhi and North India.
- 1751-1794 AD Zand dynasty.
- 1796-1925 AD Qajar dynasty: “Nehdzat Mashrooteh” or the Constitutional Movement happened in this era and the first constitutional government was established.
- 1925-1979 AD Finally Pahlavi dynasty, a constitutional monarchy ... Concentrating on modernization, education and establishing close diplomatic relations with the Western countries were among the main objective of the King Reza and Mohammad Reza Pahlavi. The gap between the government and people's will, mostly due to corruption, ultra-speed modernization of the society and what was called unfair diplomatic relations, led to the Islamic movement in 1979, that established a kind of republic called Islamic Republic.
- 1979- Today Establishment of Islamic Republic
A Brief History of Iran